Books on training the heart. Books on discipline. Books on using Scripture in your correction. Books on practical ideas for every situation.
These books have been good, and they have given me many parenting tools to use each and every day. They have been a source of encouragement for me in walking in this new territory that I don't feel very experienced in.
But I've realized something. (from another book!) I have made some of these things into a new law. The laws of parenting by Katie Martin.
I've realized that these methods and philosophies and practical ideas are forming this good parenting in, good children out mentality. I have come to think that if I do things right with my kids, then they will most likely be good kids. And have a better chance at becoming a believer.
The problem is I am putting too much of an emphasis on myself and my abilities as a parent. Can I alone save them? No.
I have forgotten grace. The Lord is the one who saves. The Lord is the one who draws a child to himself. There is no formula a + b = c. Being a good parent does not necessarily result in a saved child.
The reality is despite our best efforts, we can still have a child who chooses to rebell against everything we've ever taught him.
So I am realizing that while God has placed me in this role as a parent to love our kids and teach them and show them as much as we can about the Lord, it is ultimately the Lord that has to work in their lives.
And His working in their lives is powerful enough to cover any mistake I make as a parent. Its called grace. We need it in our every day and we need it in our parenting.
Do I believe God is good enough?
Do I believe he is wise enough?
Do I believe he loves my kids more than I do?
Do I believe he is faithful to finish what he started? (Phil 1:6)
May my too high a view of my ability to parent decrease!
May my too low a view of God's love and trustworthiness increase so much more!
(notes from "Give Them Grace")
1 comment:
This is precious. I appreciate your humility and your direction that leads straight to Christ! Our parralelled journey is sweet to share together via blog. <3
Post a Comment