Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Fall has arrived!  Don't you love it?  It was so nice this morning putting on some jeans, a cardigan, some new shoes, and a COAT!  The crispness in the air is invigorating.  My husband even took us out to breakfast this morning!  


My oldest son has always loved clothes.  It a weird obsession really.  However he joyfully put on some "new to him" clothes this morning.  Ten minutes later...I want hot weather.  That didn't last long.


I have been in a battle recently with the middle child.  He can be so strong willed.  He has the craziest ability to make me second guess everything.  What is that?  I am the Mother after all.  We've somewhat successfully potty trained him.  He wears underwear at all times except bed.  However, he will only go when I ask him.  He has a strong willed bladder too it seems, as he will hold it ALL.DAY.LONG.   So it is a battle every time he goes.  He wants me to help him, and he doesn't need it.  And he won't go number 2 in the potty.  He has figured out that he can just wait until the pull-up at nap and bedtime.  So frustrating!  We had a stand off yesterday that last ALL DAY.  I prevailed and he finally pooped in the potty!  I won.  Now I am bound and determined to turn this ship around.


Recently, Homeschooling my children has not been my favorite.  Don't get me wrong, I know that we are supposed to do it this year.  The kids enjoy it, and for the most part, we like it.  I've just been discouraged with it and sometimes I want to put all three on the big yellow school bus as it drives by our house.  Haha, I'm just kidding...actually I don't really know if I am.  Anyway, Ed snuck out of the house with Micah one morning and came home with these.  And a little note from Micah.





Made taco soup last night.  We love anything mexican around here, but this is one of our favorites.  Its a mexican twist on chili.  We eat it with tortilla chips, but it is also good with the traditional cornbread.  


Here's the recipe in case it is new to you...


Taco Soup


1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can whole corn (drained)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 cans tomato sauce (16oz)
2 pkg taco seasoning
2 pkg ranch dressing mix
2 cans green chilies (4oz)
1 1/2 cups of water
onion powder


1.  Cook ground meat with onion powder, drain.
2.  Mix meat and all other ingredients in large pot.  Simmer 30 min.
3.  Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread.  Top with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and whatever other mexican toppings you like.  Enjoy!


Happy fall!

No comments: