Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Books of 2010

In 2010, one of my goals was to read more.  With two kids in the last two years, reading kinda got cut out!  Other than my morning Bible time and "Barnyard Dance", it just wasn't a priority.  But I realized I needed it, and so I made it a goal.  I didn't even pick a number of books to read, I just decided I would always be working through a book.  And it was amazing how they challenged me in my walk with the Lord, how some of them even carried a similar theme that I think God was teaching me, and other were practically helpful in my daily life. 

Here's the list of books I read and definitely recommend them to you if you have not come across them yet!

The Prodigal God - A fresh, biblical perspective on the story of The Prodigal Son that will leave you challenged.  It offers a challenge to both the "younger brother" and the "elder brother" no matter which category you fall under.  His basic premise is that both are consumed with self and in need of a "true elder brother" to rescue them at his own expense.  The neat thing about this book is that it hits all people no matter where they are in their spiritual life.

Crazy Love - If you somehow missed this one, read it!  This book set the tone for me in 2010.   A scripture-filled reminder of God's Great Love for us and how that should radically change who we are every day and how it should impact those around us!


Dancing with My Father - I read this with my small group and it seemed to carry a similar message of Crazy Love.  It was about living life full of joy and how to find that joy in life.  Her basic message that I kept getting was that joy is a choice.  Our God has given us every reason to be joyful and has even commanded us to be full of joy.  No matter life's circumstances, with Christ, there is always a reason to be joyful, the choice is ours!


Don't Make Me Count to Three - I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!  It is one of the best parenting books out there!  It is the same parenting thought as "Shepherding a Child's Heart", but full of practical ideas of how to train the heart.  She teaches you how to reach the heart of the child, how to give biblical reproof, and the proper use of the rod.  Seriously, she aligns with the best parenting books out there, but I have gotten the most practical stuff from her!  It is a book I refer back to often! 


Radical - Yep!  I could not have gone the whole year and not read one of the best books of the year!  Yes, I'm a little biased because Ed and I have listened to this guys sermons for several years now, and love his teaching.  This was the last book I read and truthfully, I don't think all the content has really sunk in.  It's one of those books that's so challenging you almost need to take it in small bits and spend time really reflecting on it.  A must read!


So there it is!  Now I need to make my list for this year!  Any recommendations for 2011?  


2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love this list Katie! I've been wanting to read Radical, just haven't yet. I'll also check out the parenting one, always on the prowl for new reads! I would add 2 of my favorites from the year..."A Mom After God's Own Heart" and "Grace Based Parenting."

Holly said...

Good list! I started the new Francine Rivers book over Christmas, but since we got home I have not been reading much:( I am also reading a parenting book called" raising a million arrows" happy reading!!