Katie and I will be traveling to Roanoke today to mourn the death and celebrate the life of one of my heroes, my Grandfather. He taught me so much about what it means to be a man. Possessions meant nothing to him. People, family, and God meant everything. He gave his life to serving God and people. His church recently recognized him as a life long deacon (a word which means servant). I watched him serve his best friend, my Grandmother, for years and years as Parkinsons took her life. I can't remember a time this man complained about anything. He was born in 1924 and lived through some of the hardest times this nation has ever seen. This is a rare breed of man. A man at my church often rightly says, "they don't make them like they used to". In a culture confused about manhood, we need more men like Raymond Gilmore to show us the way. We will miss him dearly. But I know that this Christmas, he will experience Jesus face to face! I can picture him now singing his favorite hymns as my Grandmother plays the piano. Enjoy him Jesus. -Ed
 |
| Granddaddy and Haleigh in May |
 |
| He loved his grand-kids and great-grandkids |
1 comment:
Ed, a beautiful tribute to your Grandfather. I'll be praying for you and your family over the next few days!
Post a Comment