Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Always?

One of my goals this year is to read more. I enjoy reading most of the time, but it has just become one of those things that has gotten pushed aside in the midst of life. But in addition to spending time in the Word, there is much wisdom in so many books that are out there...and a lot of books that shouldn't even be in print! I am currently reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan.


Let's just say it is really good. Its funny, I actually started reading it last summer. And you know those times you pick up a book to read and its just not the right time. You can't get into it. Well that was me. I read the first three chapters and just wasn't feeling it. Then I decided to pick it back up and I've been flying through it. It's the right time!

One of the things I was challenged with I want to share with you. Recently, I've been reminded of the verse "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" (Phil 4:4) In my day to day life at home with the kids, constantly cleaning, cooking, etc, it is really easy for me to get bogged down, stressed out, and almost have a pity party. I get overwhelmed and feel like I just can't do it all. I get in a rut where I don't enjoy the very thing I've wanted to do all my life. How selfish of me! So then I read this in the book...

When I am consumed by my problems - stressed out about my life, my family, and my job-I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a "right" to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities.

Worry implies that we don't quite trust God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives.

Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.

Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional.
So by the grace of God, may I rejoice more in the midst of all of my circumstances whether I see them as "good" or "bad". And if you need a book to read, I highly recommend this one!

2 comments:

Holly said...

So true and the rejoice part is so difficult some days. I have to have a Godly perspective each morning for the day to go well and for me to "rejoice" when the circumstances are crazy. Love the book as well.. His church site is really great where you can view his sermons.

The Via Colony said...

This is one of my favorite books...EVER! Full of truth and conviction...