Our Family

Our Family

Monday, February 22, 2010

Back at it again...

Today was a milestone for me. I went to the Y. It has been a year, almost exactly, since I have regularly worked out. Last year, when I found out I was expecting our third child, I told myself that this time I would work out as long as I could, even if it was just walking on the treadmill. Well that goal didn't make it past the first week of the first trimester.

So after a very long pregnancy, the newborn stage, then being attacked by every sickness known to man, we were finally all well, and ready to venture out.

Now a little background...I have always had a slow/fast/whatever metabolism that gave me the ability to eat virtually whatever and it not affecting my weight, that much! I mean, I am human. After Micah, I lost my baby weight almost immediately. Then after Caleb, I lost it all but took a little while longer. With Haleigh, well I don't even have a scale, so who knows how much I weigh. But I know my body is not looking that great! So needless to say, I have been chomping at the bit to get back to the gym.

So this morning, I got all geared up to go. Put on my yoga pants, and sported my Maryland t-shirt (because I'm proud of my terps!), laced up those tennis shoes, packed the diaper bag, grabbed my pink water bottle (at least I didn't have a monogrammed sweat towel that some girl had...I mean, really!), and headed for the Y.

After I dropped off two screaming, literally screaming, kids. Yes, it was a quick drop off...Bye kids, love ya, but mom's gotta go drop the weight that you so lovingly put on me! No sympathy here! Anyway, I excitedly walked into my Bodyshape class, which was just that - to shave off that flub and give me a six pack all in one session...right?!

After I gathered the step, a mat, three sets of weights (yeah, I was optimistic), and the ball, I anxiously waited for class to start. Soon Aerobic Paula greeted us and said, "Pick up your heaviest weight." I knew from then on, it was going to be a rough one. After telling us we had two rounds of exercises to do, she went on to introduce me to 8 of my new least favorite exercises from reverse lunges to mountain climbers to push-ups with weights! As if push-ups aren't bad enough...let's add weights!! After the first round, I was hoping the childcare people would come get me because my kids were still screaming...but that didn't happen.

Second round...I really thought at one point I would pass out. I mean I didn't know I could be so weak and out of shape. It was pitiful! I gave up on all my weights, and stuck to the 5's for the "heavy" weight exercises. At this point all pride was gone, and I was just trying to complete the class. I had hope though that this would end, knowing the core was next. So we finished, Paula looks at the clock and says, "Oh, we have more time. One more round!" Are you kidding me?

Third round...yikes! But I will say that at that point several people left. I would never leave a class early, unless it was an emergency. I don't care how hard it is, I'm not going to give up. So as about half the class trickled out during the third round of the worst exercises ever, I pushed through. Then we finished the class by working the core.

As we cleaned up all the equipment, my body was shaking from the torture. Paula, I'm sure, thought I was just a lazy girl. The worst part is I was trying really hard! I'm that out of shape. I really surprised myself. I'm weak and out of shape! How pitiful! As we walked out of the room, Paula said, "Oh, you will be sore tomorrow...and the next day!" Man, I can't wait to wake up tomorrow! Yay Paula!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey, I feel your pain. Yesterday after a long illness I finally hit the gym, didn't feel like it but knew I needed it. I'll keep at if you keep at it...You'd better cuz I have this Tri I boldly committed to.

Sarah E @ theteacherswife.com said...

The first time back is always the worst - at least it was for me. Hang in there, Katie! And for what it's worth, I think you're looking great!

Krista said...

This was an awesome post. I can definitely relate what with my slow/very slow/whatever metabolism. :) Those classes do get easier though - just keep it up. Just like you said, you are not a quitter. I know you can do whatever you put your mind to. I wish I was more like that.