Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Downpour

Sometimes in life we hit a rainy spot, sometimes a storm, and sometimes it is just a downpour. Funny how everything ties together, as if there is a God who is orchestrating all of life. Last week, a friend of mine lost her baby boy at 36 weeks. This heart wrenching event has left me sick inside, and yet somehow looking to my Father for peace, an explanation. At the same time, on a little bit of a lighter note, a family member's life has been flipped upside down. A storm, that for some reason, God has orchestrated, and we cling to Romans 8:28, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Trusting that God is good, and He knows something we don't, we move on. Last night, we watched the Nooma video "Rain", which is about when it "rains" in our lives. So it was encouraging to watch, knowing it was truth for right now.

This morning was when the storm just accelerated into a downpour. Another friend lost her baby boy at 39 weeks. After years of infertility, they finally got pregnant. We have shared in their joy of anticipating this baby, the ultrasounds, the baby showers, decorating the rooms, deciding on his name. All to be lost in the shock of him actually never living outside of his mother's womb. This is their storm. They are left with planning a service and burial arrangements, and still the delivery of a baby they were supposed to bring home, and experience parenthood for the first time. But instead, God has something greater at work. What? I don't know. How? I don't know. But I know God is good, and He gives us exactly the right amount of grace we need to walk through the storm.

This morning, I am reminded, not that a storm could come. But that it will come, and when it does, how will I respond? Will it ruin me or will I say "Blessed be Your Name!"

2 comments:

Beck said...

As I know the first friend in this post, my heart broke yet again reading of your second friend. I am not sure why God gives and takes away. All I know is that He will show His glory in these times of utter despair. I will be praying for your dear friend. May comfort wash over all those who have suffered such indescribable loss.

o u r g r o w i n g f a m i l y said...

I am thinking of you as you share your heart in this time of sadness. Sending hugs! xoxo ~ Lisa