Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, August 24, 2008

It has begun...

I love the fall. I love the weather, the pretty leaves, football, kids back in school, decorating my home with oranges, reds, and yellows, and cute little pumpkins, the smell of pumpkin bread, camping, my birthday...my husband loves it more though.
Tonight is the first event of the fall for the Martin family. It is Fantasy football draft night. Every year for the last nine years my husband and all his college friends (with some new additions) gather for their draft. It is a HUGE deal! It first started with a required jacket, tie and boxers, Dr. Pepper, Ritz Crackers, and a podium in a dorm room. Now it has transpired to an internet draft. No ties, no jacket, (yes boxers), no podium, no dorm room, but yes there are still Ritz and DPs. It started at exactly 8:45 and will go all night. There are 17 rounds with 16 players and 2 minutes per player for each pick. Yeah, it will go on forever!
The wives usually have a big part in it. We get to offer our suggestions (at times they are actually taken), keep track of the positions they have picked, take note of bye weeks...we are the secretaries. This year I'm taking a different route. I'm not involved! I actually kind of like it. We'll see how his team does this year without me!
Anyway, as I lay in my sweet bed, while my husband is sitting by his laptop on the floor with a lamp shining (PIXAR) on a bunch of ESPN magazines with more stats than you can bear, I will dream of cooler temperatures so I can wear my fabulous fall wardrobe! Goodnight!

4 comments:

amy said...

fall rocks! so glad you're taking a "break" from the fantasy insanity! justin's taking the year off (ptl!) and i'm excited to NOT hear fantasy talk for once!!! we love fall though... i'm dying to buy some candy corn and bake pumpkin bread...the cooler weather can't come soon enough!!!

sheltonfamily said...

Hilarious... wasn't there some funny story from seminary and the football league? I can't remember? I wish it would get cool here. VA has the best "fall" ever. I think we are still in the 90's this week. Yuck.... I would feel so silly putting out fall stuff already. Ellie did get an Apple backpack from the gap that is adorable! Have a great day!

Emily said...

So glad to hear that you went on to bed early this year...especially since as I finally caved after 11:00, (not to mention after disagreeing with a majority of his picks) the only comment from Chris was, "For this one night of the year, I wish I was married to Katie Martin"! I was still laughing as I went to sleep...only of course after throwing away 5 cans of DP, eating the last Ritz, and checking on Sam, who was sound asleep in nothing but his #10 Chad Pennington jersey! What can I say, it was draft night...and "It's the season, baby"!

Newly Knable said...

This makes me laugh! You guys are too funny. I, too, love the fall. I think today is the first day since the beginning of the summer that Georgia's humitity was lower than 115%. This blog post just might have inspired me to take a day trip to the mountains this weekend. We shall see. I love you and miss you all!