Our Family

Our Family

Monday, August 29, 2011

Homeschooling Day One

Today was the first day of Kindergarten for Micah.  It was also my first day back as his teacher.  We did preschool at home last year too so its not completely new for us.  However, this year we are officially supposed to be learning things, and we added a second kid (Caleb) to the mix.


Since I was a teacher pre-kids, I have some knowledge to go on.  I get to use some creative teacher ideas and nerdy stuff like curriculum really interests me.  So up to this point I have loved it.  But my fear was that once school started and we actually had to implement the brightly colored curriculum, it wouldn't be so pretty.  And I don't know the answer to that yet, but today was fun.


Both the boys were so excited.  They were lapping up each activity, and asking for more.  That made this mommy/teacher very happy.


Here are my favorite moments of the day...


Bible Time - we start all together and do the calendar and our Bible stuff.  It was absolutely precious to me to see my three kiddos gathered around talking about our Bible verse.  Hearing their little voices recite Matthew 5:9 after me was so sweet.


Math - Micah and I are doing Math U See this year which is a Math program that uses manipulatives to teach concepts.  Today, we were basically playing games with the manipulatives (Micah thought they were Legos) and yet learning place value at the same time.  To work one on one with Micah is a treasure that I have now that I know won't last.


Playing Outside - After lunch I took the kids outside since we had been in the house all morning.  Think recess.  And as I sat in my chair watching all three play happily with their bikes and scooters, it made me think back to my teaching days.  I remember standing out on the blacktop talking with the other teachers thankful for a break from the kids.  But instead today, I sat watching my children happily play and enjoy each other.  And I realized I enjoy being with my kids.  


I am so thankful for this opportunity to fulfill the role of their teacher.  I don't know how long we'll do it, but right now I am enjoying the extra time I get with my kids.  It's a lot of work, but its all worth it!

3 comments:

The Via Colony said...

So proud of you! Congratulations:)

Emily said...

I am so proud of you too!!! It makes my little teacher heart happy that you use a math program with lots of manipulative work! I kinda want Sam to come to your school next year??? Could we work that out?? :)

The Martins said...

Thanks girls! Emily, we would love to have him!! But the commute might be too much! haha!