Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Adjusting to life with 3

Sometimes I wonder, do I really look like the mom I feel like? You know the one. The one that has kids running in five different directions, carrying diaper bags, purses, papers, sippy cups, pacifiers, and a child while pushing a stroller carrying a child with a three year old asking a gazillion questions that really don't matter at the moment. Oh and the three year old is attempting at helping push the stroller, but ends up going in one more direction, that makes six! You've been there? Please say you have or am I just the frazzled mom that has her hands very full.
Anyway, today I had to tackle something for the first time with all three kids...picking up Micah from school. At his school, you have to walk in and pick him up at his class. So I debated for a while, what strategy will I use to go get him. Yes I said strategy! Will I keep Haleigh in the car seat and use stroller and Caleb walk, or carry him? Or Haleigh in the front carrier and Caleb in the stroller? Or the double stroller, but car seat won't fit in it. Can Caleb walk holding my hand the whole way, or will it be a fight because he wants to run loose. Can I carry him the whole way? (He is a tank!) So after much debate, I settled on keeping Haleigh in the car seat and stroller and Caleb walking.
So it wasn't long before I was holding Caleb and pushing the stroller. Already, I regretted my decision. After I couldn't take it anymore, I had to put him down. So he walked on the sidewalk next to the stroller. After repeatedly stopping the look at the grass or the car that passed or just to let him catch up, we finally made it to the building. Then we had to weave our way through the crowds of people and kids in the hallway that Caleb stopped to admire every person! Bless his heart! Good thing I wasn't in a hurry!
After making it to Micah's class, I actually thought, oh good, my three year old will help! So he pushed the stroller, while I had one hand on it and one hand holding Caleb's. Then a repeat of the same thing going into the building. I finally just carried Caleb to the car. I mean, I must have been quite a show for the other parents. No one else is carrying that many kids in. Some have a little one Caleb's age on their hip, but not two plus the preschooler. I had many hold doors for me. I could almost hear their thoughts. I was that mom! Hands full, frazzled, not paying attention to anything else but making it to the car. Whew! I never thought I would be so happy to make it to the van. Seriously, can we get a carpool lane! Better luck next week! Maybe we will go with the stroller and the carrier.

7 comments:

Holly said...

Been there done that you know like today flying with all 3 by myself! I was the frazzled mom for sure.. My strategy for preschool pick up is just to carry Mary and let Anna walk. The car seat is to much. If she is asleep I get another mom at school to stand by our van and I run in to get the girls. We have a carpool line, but it is only for the 3 yr. old room and since Anna is in the 2 yr. old room I have to go in and get her. Ellie always begs me to go to the "pool" line cause everyone else in her class gets to.. I feel bad for her! You will figure out your strategies and what works well.. It takes time that is for sure!!

amy said...

Katie... you just perfectly described my life! :) i have to go in as well, and usually do the same... Jeremiah in the carseat/stroller and Josiah walking, but that takes forever and i usually end up carrying him! we LOVE our double stroller, but it's so big to get out of the car and takes me 10 min to get the carseat in it and Josiah buckled! sometimes i wonder if it's even worth the 3 hours of peace with abby at school to take her and pick her up!!

i would love to tell you the months get easier, but we're on month 4 and every night justin and i collapse from shear exhaustion! i feel like our life is a 3 ring circus... literally!!! i keep telling myself "this to shall pass". but thankfully, jermeiah is sleeping MUCH better at night, so you have that to look forward to!

i wish we were all still at the farm (but in bigger houses!) so we could all experience our lives with 3 together! ha!

Mom said...

You are NOT alone! That is the best thing. God knows what we women need... others who share our experiences so we can talk, vent, commiserate, seek advise, and pray for one another. It lightens our load to journey through life's seasons with other women. I am thanking Him now for my bible wenches!

The Martins said...

I was at busy at work. I swear. -Ed

Matt and Jen said...

hilarious to picture simply b/c i've been there and done that!!! i definitely catch people just watching me unload and load ALL the kids in parking lots!! in the pilot I have them getting in in all directions and doors. i do have a system down now to make sure i don't have one escape and i'm sure it's obvious on my face that it is quite a system and stratey (you know that focused look). what seems to happen to me is i get all 3 in and buckled, get in the driver seat and then realize that i set the keys down beside one of the kids and have to get out, open all doors and find the keys!!! i'll say it again...hilarious!!!!!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I only (currently) have two...and I still feel like I can relate =) I know exactly what you mean about being "that" mom. I am sure it will get easier and you will come up with a good system in time!

Mom said...

Need more pics of Haleigh!