Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Joyful Contentment

These days I have many people asking me how I am doing with all the adjustments we have right now. I always say we're good! But in recent days, I'm finding myself running on empty. With little sleep, you just don't feel like yourself. I mean, last night I fell asleep hard on the couch watching my favorite show, So you think you can Dance. That is so not me. I actually woke up upset with myself because I missed some of the performances! But with little sleep, needing to feed a baby every three hours, two other children that need you to feed them, play with them, love them, comfort them, discipline them, and change one of them, you begin to feel stretched in every possible way. Then there's the two most important relationships that get pushed aside, your husband and the Lord, who graciously wait for you to come to them when you get around to it.
So this morning I find myself zapped of the joy that I want to have in this circumstance or phase of life right now. As I prayed, I was reminded of Philippians 4:11, "...for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." Content in this phase, not wishing it away, but embracing it, as if it is exactly where I am to be right now. This is exactly where God wants me, and that alone should bring joy. He sees it as a noble task, one to show my family God's love, but also one to grow me in my relationship with Him. Walking through this circumstance with joy is what will bring Him honor, and me peace. So today, I claim this truth, that I will be content in my circumstances and that He will bring me joy. Knowing full well I cannot do this on my own, I ask Him for His grace and strength to get me there.

Gladden the soul of your servant,
for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.

Turn to me and be gracious to me;

give your strength to your servant
Psalm 86:4, 16

7 comments:

amy said...

Katie... thank you SO much for this post. as it came across my google reader, God softly spoke through that passage to my heart. it was exactly what i needed (after being up ALL night with a baby who is either going through a growth spurt or teething but nursing ALL night long!). praying for you today! :)

Holly said...

Love it! I just had a new mom of three come up to me this morning at church and said " You didn't tell me 3 kids was going to kick my bootie"! It is a lot of needs to be met, but I've quickly learned without the help of Christ I cannot do it on my own with contentment. Thanks!!!

Self Family said...

I am also a mom of 3 (4 weeks, 2 years, and 4 years)...thank you for the encouragement. I am right there with you.

o u r g r o w i n g f a m i l y said...

Love, Lisa

o u r g r o w i n g f a m i l y said...

Thank you for this encouragement. I was just talking to Mark about my discontented heart and how that makes me sad. I appreciate the helpful reminders.

The McBrides said...

Katie... indeed... you should read my post I just did. I'm walking right there with you girl! What a beautiful difficulty we have!

JMac said...

You're gonna miss this!