Our Family

Our Family

Friday, September 5, 2008

Hopey Girl!

Dear Baby Sister,

Today is a big day in your life! Happy 18th Birthday! This birthday is a little different from all the others. You will celebrate today with no family, no old friends, but all new people. While it may be hard, I hope that you "feel the love" from all the people that love you so dearly.

18 years ago, Mom was 3 weeks past her due date, and we thought you would never come. But like in all things, you arrived in your own timing, when you were ready! I will never forget, I had just started 5th grade, and my teacher and classmates all knew we were waiting for you! It seemed like everyday when someone came on the PA to our room, everyone would look at me hoping it was time. But on September 5, 1990, the PA sounded with my principal's voice. He said, "Mrs. Charleston, can you send Katie MacPherson down for early dismissal? Her new little sister is here!" Everyone cheered and I ran down to meet Grandma Mary in the lobby. She took us to the hospital to meet you for the first time.

Things really changed when you arrived on the scene. I became Momma's little helper and babysat you when mom had to go back to work. We had an instant connection. We shared a room until you were about 3. In the mornings you would wake up in your crib and call out to me. It was so sweet! Then you became a toddler, a very difficult one. It is no secret that you were trouble. But that trouble was disguised in humor and absolute cuteness! That is why you got away with so much!

I just wanted to tell you how proud of you I am. I am so excited for you and your new adventures in college! I pray for you all the time. Today my prayer is that the Lord blesses you with new friendships that will last for a lifetime. No one said going away to college is easy, but it is so worth it! May the Lord draw you closer to Him each day and may you love Him more than anything else in this world! I love you, Hopey girl! Happy Birthday!

No comments: