Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Good Old Sam...

Thirteen years ago last spring we had an unforgettable day in the MacPherson family. After years and years of begging for a dog, our wish was granted. I was 14(just finished my freshman year), Krista was 9, Michael was 8, and Hope was 4. My mom let me in on the secret that my parents had gotten a yellow lab mix, a little puppy. They got him from the lab rescue. I could not believe they actually did it. I knew my brother and sisters would be so excited, but nothing prepared me for their reaction. My mom brought him in one day after school. She just walked in the house with this adorable little puppy in her hands. The kids just squealed! My brother who was quite the dancer, just started dancing (the butterfly in case you cared!), shouting "Oh yeah, Oh yeah, we got a dog, Oh yeah!" Priceless!
It took us forever it seemed like to decide on a name. Some that were in the running were Reese's(i don't even know why now!), Simba(he looked just like him), Max(i think), and others I don't remember. His name...Sam. I'm not sure how we got to that. Knowing my parents they chose it and directed us towards that name, letting us think we named him!
We had years and years of fun with him. He was a great dog! Very playful and loved attention. My favorite story is when he was a puppy and grabbed my sisters braided hair and starting shaking his head pulling it as if it were a toy. Her head was just following the pull of his mouth side to side. Krista just yelled "Katie, help!"
Well, Monday, my parents came home from vacation, called for him, and there was no answer. Good old Sam had died that day. He was very old and we knew it was coming. Sam dying has symbolized the ending of things in a lot of ways. My youngest sister just headed off to school and my parents now have an empty house for almost the first time in their marriage. Sam dying was like an official end of an era in our family. All of us kids are out on our own...well almost! My dad and a family friend, Mr. Mike, took Sam to Mr. Mike's house and buried him in the back of their property.
I loved Sam, but I'm not exactly an animal person. But when my mom called to tell me that he died, I was genuinely sad. He was such a good dog! I think my brother loved him best. Michael was Sam's buddy. So I know my brother may miss him most.

4 comments:

Beck said...

Katie - I am so sorry for Sam's passing. What is crazy is that I actually remember him as a puppy! I loved this post, your writing is very readable and I feel like I am right there with you as you storytell so well. I miss you girl (and thanks for the sweet birthday wishes!)

Matt and Jen said...

sorry about sweet sam!! matt and i remember meeting him during our crazy trip to MD! that's right...pregnant and jumping on the trampoline...

Newly Knable said...

thanks for making me tear up at work! :) i totally forgot about my chew toy hair incident until now. haha. i mostly wanted to comment because Reese (not Reese's - haha) was proposed for Max, the yorkie, bc of his colors. i never knew i was a dog person until i got my own. it is such a taken-for-granted-of (?) blessing to have the love a loyal dog can give a family. no doubt will sam be missed.

my favorite memory = letting sam pull on micahel and my shoelaces (with shoes on) dragging us around the backyard. the day we saw that sam had drawn blood from the intense flossing, michael and i decided this was an unsafe game for sam.

sheltonfamily said...

why was jenn pregnant and jumping... does sound like a crazy trip to MD... so sad about Sam. Mike always remembers his childhood dogs...