Our Family

Our Family

Monday, June 16, 2008

In the thick of it....

Well life has been, well to put it plainly, crazy!! All of you with two children know exactly what I mean. Life right now consists of a roller coaster ride of ups and downs and sometimes some loops, thankfully the ups are what is pushing us through this crazy time with a newborn and a two year old trying to adjust to life with "another".

Yesterday, I was forced to stay home on what would've been mine and Caleb's first time at church since the birth, not to mention father's day and it was senior recognition day. Micah has come down with a cold so the boys and I stayed at home, which made for a really tough morning. So Ed came home from church and I was completely frazzled...What a great Father's day! We did enjoy the rest of the day with Ed's family though, so there's an up!
Then Ed and I had one of those marriage and family conversations that doesn't start out good, but ended very well...you know the one I'm talking about. Down and Up.
Then poor Micah was up from 4am till 7am off and on with his cold. He was so sleepy, but couldn't sleep and he would just cry. It is the worst as a parent when you want to make him feel better, but you just can't. So needless to say that means I was up from 4am to 7am and then Caleb awoke at 8am. Mostly down with a little up. I mean he is so cute! (I came downstairs with Micah...we were going to lay on the couch and watch tv. we got down here and then he started crying. I asked him what's wrong and he said, "I want to go in big boy bed". How cute!)

So I find myself completely in the thick of it, very tired, thin patience, so tired of nursing every three hours(it never was my favorite thing), but encouraged by my husband and somehow just doing it. I guess that is the beauty of motherhood. You don't really know how you do it, you just do because you have to and the Lord gives you what you need to get through. He sustains you and you are blessed by it. So I find myself thankful for being in this stage of life, treasuring the spit up on my shoulder, Micah yelling Mommy Mommy, a newborn crying, and a passing kiss to my husband (oh yeah, I remember you!). The ride is started to ascend again and I'm going to treasure every bit because I know I'll need it to get through the next hill or loop.

3 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I understand all you wrote...it truly is a serious of ups and downs, numerous times throughout the day =) Thanks for your transparency and encouragement to treasure the current stage we are in...loops and all.

Your boys are cuties!

amy said...

katie...
i am SOOO right there with you. we spent most of the winter doing the same thing.... abby sick, josiah needing 1 on 1 attention. then josiah would be sick and it would reverse again. i missed so many weeks of church with one of them sick and i felt (and still often feel) incredibly isolated! praise the Lord josiah is on an awesome schedule now and he goes to bed at 7pm and sleeps until 7am, only waking at 5 to eat. hang in there... it DOES get easier! abby has adjusted well to having a sibling, although we're entering a whole new stage now that he's starting to crawl and get into "her" toys. i am definitely praying for you, sweet friend! those days were only weeks ago for me!!!! we love you guys!!!

Matt and Jen said...

So sorry that things are crazy right now. Let me just answer one question for you...yes, you did want to have two kids!!! :) Not that my advice is worth a whole lot, but here's some...make yourself stop and just watch your precious boys in the midst of the crazy. The craziness will continue, but just enjoying their sweet faces just reminds you that it's worth it. you are always so good at finding things to smile and laugh at and raising children needs alot of that. I know you are doing an awesome job!!!!