Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Winter of Soups

This is a fitting post for such a cold wet day.  


I am a fan of all things cozy.  I love slippers, a good blanket, sitting by the fire, a good pair of cozy pants, and a cup of coffee.  Are you feeling me?  


This winter I decided to expand my collection of soup recipes.  So we are having the winter of soups.  Every Sunday is Soup Day.  I've used some old tried and true recipes.  And I've found some new ones.  I thought I would share some of our favorites so far.

{photo courtesy of lulu the baker}

This soup is full of vegetables - carrots, onions, celery, broccoli, and potatoes.
This was a hit with the whole family.  
{photo courtesy of Taste of Home}

My husband loved this soup.  It is good topped with pepper jack cheese.   Tortilla chips go well with this one!

Cream of Broccoli Soup
{sorry no picture}


Bunch of Broccoli, chopped
1/2 c. butter
6 Tbsp flour
5 cups chicken broth
pepper
nutmeg
about 1 cup of milk

Melt butter in pot, add flour.  Mix together.  Then add in broth slowly, and add the cut up broccoli.
Simmer for 20 minutes.  Put all of it in a blender and puree.  Put back in pot, add milk, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg.  Stir together and serve.


This is a family recipe that my mom used to make when we were little.  It makes a lot so it is good for leftovers.  Admittedly, my husband doesn't love it, but I do.  Its basically a broccoli soup, but blended down smooth.  So no chunks...easy for picky kids who may not like to eat broccoli.  I like to serve it with baked potatoes.

Hopefully, you will find these recipes as yummy as we have.  And maybe you'll even take part in our winter of soups, even though it is half over!  

2 comments:

Rachelrie said...

Those look good! I had this cheesy tortellini soup at a friend's house tonight. It was sooo good. You should try it! I might even get inspired to cook... haha.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Tomato-Tortellini-Soup

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Cream of Broccoli soup. Bad memories! I admit, now that I'm an adult, the soup is appealing because it's full of healthy broccoli, but if there's no cheese in it, my Husband's not touching it. (That rule applies to everything... sigh) P.S. Do you want to be the Soup Nazi at my Sandwich Shop, Nom Noms?