Our Family

Our Family

Monday, February 28, 2011

A Word from Hosea

In my Bible Study right now we are reading Hosea, which I've never really studied before.  I've known the simple version that God told a man, Hosea, to marry a prostitute and to love her.  One of my favorite books is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers and she does a great job of telling this story.  Because the real picture is God taking for himself a people who are completely and unashamedly "cheating on him".  They are blatantly unfaithful to Him and are serving other gods.  The thing that gets me is that they still offered up sacrifices to Him, basically spitting in His face.  

"We don't really like you and we don't really think you are worth serving, but we are going to be somewhat 'obedient' and offer up sacrifices because that is what you tell us to do in your law." 

Isn't that what we do?  We claim to be 'Christians', but in truth we know we aren't faithful to Him.  We don't really want Him.  What do we want?  Why bother?  Do we want acceptance?  Do we want to be called good?  Do we want to do the right thing?  Is it just what we've always done?

The most crushing part is when God says, "I, even I, will tear and go away; I will carry off, and no one shall rescue".  This is talking about the judgment Israel will receive because of their unfaithfulness.  The part that hit me was that the Rescuer won't even rescue.  What an awful place to be!  God gave them SO MANY CHANCES, and they didn't turn back to him. But He still LOVES them!

Today I read this and it just encouraged me!  Hosea 10:12 says, "Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the LORD, that he many come and rain righteousness upon you."  I love anytime it talks about raining or pouring upon me I love it!  The fact that I, me, Katie, do not deserve any part of righteousness, since I along with the rest of the human race, was separated from God because of our wretched stink called sin.   And the fact that He would send me a Savior to rescue me out of a life destined for eternal death and instead bestow upon me not just getting to be in heaven, but he would place the righteousness of Christ upon me!  What?!  

So why, I ask you, would I wander back and try and offer him a half heart? 

Why would I think that pleases Him?

Why would I think I can do the least bit to get by and it somehow be a sweet aroma to Him?

Instead this morning, it is time to seek the Lord, yes because He loves me still, but also because He rescued me and is WORTH it!

No comments: