Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Learning As We Go

Well now that we are in our sixth week of school, and things seem to be more "normal" (whatever that is!), I thought I'd share a little bit about our school year.  Micah doesn't start Kindergarten for another year, but we decided this year to keep him at home and test the waters of homeschooling.  We are praying through what to do next year and have not really made up our minds either way.  We decided this year not to send him to preschool for several reasons, but one being I wanted to "try out" the homeschooling thing.  So we are using a curriculum I found for preschoolers that I was actually looking at for next year if we do decide to homeschool.  The Sonlight curriculum is literature-based and this year is called "Exploring God's World".  I'm also tacking on the Kindergarten language arts and reading program because Micah was ready for it. 

It's been fun so far!  I enjoy it most days.  Every week I can honestly say I am looking forward to starting school again on Monday.  I definitely do have those days though when it just doesn't seem to work.  Sometimes I wonder if it is the best learning environment for Micah with what seems like constant interruptions from Caleb.  Sometimes I feel like I'm completely neglecting Caleb and I'm not able to "teach" him.  I realize that I'm very new to it, and I have a lot more figuring out to go before we decide if it's right for our family or not.  Some days I'm sold, and some days I'm not.  But that's all a part of our journey. 

Here's some pics of school so far...
Water Play
Practicing writing his name
Counting with beans

No comments: