Quick post from dad.
This week I finally took Micah to some empty basketball courts and took the training wheels off his bike. Micah has been begging for about a month to take them off so he could try the real deal. As a parent, you just kinda know when you kid is ready (kinda like potty training) and I knew Micah was ripe for the two wheeler.
We took off the training wheels and Micah and I kicked them across the asphalt yelling "get outta here!" Micah was about to get on his bike and then one of those divinely inspired moments hit me (which is incredibly rare even though I am paid to be divinely inspired at all times :). I stopped him and said, Micah, why don't we pray and ask God to help you ride your bike and to give you patience. So Micah stood there with his little helmet and knee pads on and prayed that God would help him. Simple, to the point, less than 10 seconds, amen.
He mounted his red, $5 yard sale bike and said in a giddy and nervous voice, "here we go dad!". I walked along side holding him as he peddled and then I realized that I was basically doing nothing. Then, like Nemo's dad in Finding Nemo, I realized it was time to let go. I gave him a little push and off he went! First try and he was riding his bike! Still not sure who was more excited, him or me.
Here's the kicker and the point of the blog post. My 4 year old gets off his bike and says, "Dad! God is awesome!" Then it hit me. This is parenting in a nutshell: showing my kids that they are a vital character in a much bigger Story. Micah could have very easily stepped off the bike and said "Dad! Did you see me!? I was amazing! I am awesome!" (which he is). Instead, that short innocent prayer allowed him to see that God is the one who deserves the glory. He is the one who is more important than bikes and homeruns and three-pointers. It's amazing how much a tiny, divinely inspired moment can do for the worldview of a 4 year old. I hope that I can get over myself and have the awareness to focus on what really matters with my kids in the 10 second moments.
He is awesome.
Saturday, July 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's amazing of what we can learn from a 4 year old and a cartoon. Keep swimming!
Amazing, the things we can learn from a 4 year old and a cartoon. Keep Swimming!
Post a Comment