Last week I had my birthday and I realized that now being an adult, your birthday just isn't what it used to be. There's no party or streamers or games or party hats...maybe if your lucky you get a cake and some presents. No longer do you get to enjoy the day, just you, no work, no responsibilities, no kids, etc.
However, at this stage you get other joys as a part of your birthday! And I would argue even better things! My actual birthday was just a usual day...feeding children, cleaning kitchen, cooking dinner, phone calls, bills, a walk, reading, small group. But to see the joy of my two year old playing with my balloons all day, made me appreciate balloons so much more.
Friday, my husband planned a special day just for us! We took the kids to his parents' house for the day and trekked up 95 to Old Towne Alexandria. A downtown area on the Potomac River with little shops and restaurants for blocks. It all has the old feel of what things were like "back in the day". It is all historic, with brick sidewalks and such. We ate lunch and did some shopping. Then we decided to hop on the Metro into town (DC) and go to one of the Smithsonians. We went to the Natural History museum which was interesting, but quite a bit annoying with their very pushy agenda of evolution! Then we hopped back on the Metro to Alexandria. Rode the trolley down King Street, to eat some seafood for dinner! Yum! I had a crab cake that was so delicious! So even though birthdays are different with adult life, it is a treasure that I savor once every year!
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment