Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Warning: A lot of Drama...

This June we are traveling to Mexico for a mission trip with our youth. I have not been on a mission trip since my junior year in college, so I am very excited about going. This will also be my first international mission trip. When going to a different country, there are a few unknowns that I would to be known! With the unknowns there are just a few hurdles that I have to get over. No matter how experienced I am, or that fact that I am a pastor's wife, or how knowledgeable I think I am, there will always be weaknesses and challenges that I am faced with. My first challenge - the shots!
Many of you know that I am a little frightened by shots. Ok I am completely a wimp when it comes to needles, surgery, blood, doctors, etc. (My new sister-in-law is probably so disappointed!) You would think after an epidural that I could take anything, but no. At what point will I have to get a shot and it be no big deal. Will I be 70 years old and still scared to death?
So Wednesday, Ed and I went to get two shots. Micah was with me, which helped a little. He was probably just excited that for once it was me getting the shots and not him. Anyway, they hurt and my arms were so sore. But to make things worse, I was so tired! I literally felt like I had been injected with sleeping pills. I was in a cloud all day. Today, I woke up with incredibly sore arms, especially the one with the tetanus. Yes, I am a big baby! But seriously isn't there just a pill I could take, instead of it coming through a needle. With all the technology in the world, you'd think there would be some other way.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're funny Katie! Come on girl, after an epidural??? That needle was 10 times bigger! Don't feel bad though, we all have our little quirky fears...mine happens to be swimming in lakes...I hate it. I live in mortal fear that someone will invite us to their cabin to ride in their boat and swim in the lake...not a good problem when we live in a state whose slogan is: Minnesota, Land of 10,000 lakes!

sheltonfamily said...

Katie,
I'm glad you survived. The things we are afraid of is so funny even thought we survived labor! I am terrified of knives...so the thought of getting my wisdom teeth out soon after I'm done nursing Anna terrifies me. I do okay with needles! I agree with Stephanie though about the epidural needle. I saw it during Anna's delivery and it is huge. I can't think about it or it will terrify me. We miss you all. We no longer have anyone "familiar" here without the Gurney's. It was a sad day when they moved. I hope Mexico goes awesome. Mike's golf tourney is on Monday. We will be so glad when it is over. Have a great Friday!

amy said...

hey katie!

the pics of micah and you all are great! justin and i are trying to decide just who he looks like!!! in some pics just like you and in others more like ed! i feel your pain with shots... and thankfully, i won't be having to get any in the near future. until november when the baby comes anyway... and then it's just a spinal block for the c-section... i'm not even going to start thinking about that!!!! but isn't it ironic that we can comfort our little ones through rounds and rounds of shots every few months, yet when it comes to us, we're just as scared?!

Claire Slade said...

Katie, it's so great to hear what's going on in your lives! The pictures are great. Hope Mexico goes well. Can't say that I have a party over having to get shots either:)

Amy H said...

Hey Katie! (This is Amy Jordan). I understand the quirkiness, too. I don't really have issues with getting shots, but I do have some weird issue with appendicitis. Like - I have this fear that I'm going to get it, I can't stand hearing people talk about it and recently I visited one of my small group girls from church who had her appendix out and I had a near fainting spell that ending with the doctor having to examine me and the nurse giving me juice and ice chips... (Okay -so it's not exactly the same, but it should at least make you feel a little bit better, right?).

P.S. I thought about you all last Friday - happy 5 years!! :)

Newly Knable said...

Keep 'em coming! I don't see you guys near enough, so this blogging helps. Love the entries and pics! I'll be home in August, so hopefully I'll see you then. Good luck in Mexico.

P.S. It's the dark for me. Still don't like going into dark garages because of Scream! Remember that?!

Claire Slade said...

Any updates?!